Programme organization

Mosonmagyaróvár awaits you with countless exciting sights to see. If you decide to walk around the town to learn more about it while you are here for your dental treatment, you will not be disappointed in what you have seen. Charming squares and streets and all the historic monuments of the town are here for you to discover, all enchanted by the magical scents of local coffee shops. Mosonmagyaróvár has two walking routes that we can recommend to you. Both of them will provide you with unforgettable experiences: one in the Magyaróvár part of the town, and the other one in the Moson part. These two parts of the town are worth visiting one after the other because they were separate settlements before the beginning of the 20th century, and the differences between them are clearly visible even today. Now let us start our sightseeing walk!

Magyaróvár part
Óvár Castle

When you visit Mosonmagyaróvár, the building complex which is commonly regarded as the symbol of the town, is a must-see attraction and the oldest monument in town at the same time. This is Óvár Castle.

The building is surrounded by a moat therefore we can access the castle over an arch bridge made of bricks, and then through a tunnel-like gate. The keystone of the archway is decorated with a coat-of-arms containing a six-pointed star. It belonged to the former lords of the castle, Counts Bazini and Szentgyörgyi.

It is not known when the castle was built but several fortification plans were created throughout the centuries, and it was rebuilt many times. Its fortification always gained more importance in times of war. Because there was not enough stone in the area, decreasing the size of the building was how its defence was improved most of the time. The irregular rectangular shape of the footings suggests that originally the castle might have had pentagonal footings. This is how the Gothic castle chapel "moved" outside the castle walls. The chapel was still standing in the 1600s. The unearthed ruins of the chapel can be found north-east of the castle.

Óvár Castle never suffered serious attack. As the defenders were generally few and the building was weak, the defenders did not bother to withstand strong attacks and usually surrendered the castle to the enemy. Nevertheless, Óvár Castle was witness to great times. In the middle of the 16th century the Turkish invaders burnt it together with the town, but later it was reconstructed and fortified again based on the plans of Italian military engineers. In the 18th century the building was brought under Germany supremacy, it was deprived of its military character and turned into a prison. Later it became the private property of the Habsburg family, who devoted the facility to science. An agricultural academy was situated in the castle for an extended period of time, the traces of which can still be seen.

[Óvár Castle]

Wittmann Park

The park named after Antal Wittman is located in the university district of Mosonmagyaróvár. Antal Wittmann was the founder of the former agricultural academy; he was a learned agronomist, who worked on the regulation of the River Leitha, the desiccation of the marshes and the establishment of the park through draining the reedy areas. Today student hostels and various sports facilities can be found here, which belong to the local faculty of the University of West Hungary. They are all very popular with the students.

[Wittmann Park]

Deák tér (Deák Square)

Deák Square used to be the market-place of Magyaróvár (the once separate settlement). The square was just the ideal place for the exchange of goods and trading, as the three-storey building of the mill and brewery formed its eastern border. The old mill was mentioned in documents in as early as the 13th century. Also, a 14th-century charter states that the mill and its taxes belonged to the royal court. The brewery was run from the 18th century to the middle of the 20th century until a bigger brewery, Dreher purchased it to close it down as it was a potential competitor.

The Habsburg Residence is located in Deák Square opposite the castle. This house once belonged to the Archdukes. It served as temporary accommodation for Champagny, the French Minister for Exterior Relations, Count István Széchenyi and the Croat Ban Jellasich when fleeing to Vienna, just to mention a few. Lajos Kossuth recruited soldiers standing on the balcony of the Habsburg Residence facing Fő utca (High Street) at the time of the War of Independence, in the autumn of 1848. A tablet commemorates his recruiting speech. Archduke Friedrich Habsburg lived in the castle for the longest time; he lived in Magyaróvár from 1920 to his death in 1936. He often talked to his servants during his walks, and he always offered a hearty greeting to passers-by when he was sitting on the bench in front of the house. This is commemorated by the statue of Archduke Friedrich Habsburg sitting on a bench, which was erected in 2006.

[Deák tér (Deák Square)]

A building belonging to the University of West Hungary can be seen in the northern part of the square. Originally it used to be the living quarters for the professors of the old agricultural academy. Later it was turned into a supply depot for the fire brigade, which is commemorated by a tablet on the present-day building.

The most precious gem in the crown of Deák Square is the Baroque memorial column of St. John of Nepomuk with reliefs and three side figures. This unique work of art was erected by Károly József Hugenstein, who was the land steward at that time, to commemorate the coronation of Maria Theresa.

Fő utca (High Street)

Basically, all the houses in Magyaróvár's High Street are listed monuments or historic monuments. The street is lined with buildings which were erected on Gothic foundations but have Baroque and Eclectic façades. The most significant buildings bear the names of their owners in the 19th century or around the turn of the century. One exception is the building with the name "Black Eagle", which was already standing in the 15th century. This house has functioned as a Jesuit monastery, brewery, hotel and restaurant all through its several-century-long history.

Cselley House, which belongs to Hanság Museum in Mosonmagyaróvár today, can also be found in High Street. It was renewed at the end of the 1970s, and its Eclectic façade and original ornamental, stone-framed windows were removed then. The upstairs rooms of Cselley House function as showrooms for the arts and crafts exhibition of Hanság Museum and the famous Gyurkovich Collection, and a display of stone relics from the Roman period can be seen in its barrel-vaulted cellar.

The former Piarist school is located on the even-numbered side of High Street, next to the Habsburg Residence. The Piarist monks (only three, actually) started teaching here at the beginning of the 18th century. The Baroque ridge-turret chapel was constructed in that century, too. The building was given its present-day exterior in 1838.

St. Gotthard Church is situated in the heart of the town centre, in Szent László tér (St. Ladislaus Square). It is the most significant Baroque building in the town. The Late Romanesque St. Ladislaus Church used to stand in its vicinity, but it was destroyed when the Turkish invaders ruined the town in the 16th century. The present-day church was constructed more than two hundred years later. Its interior was decorated with lavish Late Baroque ornaments and frescos thanks to Maria Christina and her husband. Before World War II the Burial Crypt of the Habsburgs was completed in the crypt of the church, where Archduke Friedrich Habsburg and his wife were laid to rest in their metal coffin later.

Magyar utca (Magyar Street) is a most significant street in Magyaróvár's town centre, which is a pedestrian precinct today. Some of its single-storey buildings were pulled down, but the house at 3 Magyar Street is renowned because the first permanent printing press in Magyaróvár was established there.

After we leave the town centre, walking down Jókai utca (Jókai Street), we pass by a Baroque double-gable building, which was reconstructed in a way that certain stone elements could be kept and now the building resembles the original one very much. "BIO" Flexum-Medicinal Spa is situated a bit further off from the Leitha Bridge, in Károlyliget (Károly Park), which is one of the tourist attractions of the town.

Moson part
From Szent István király út (King St. Stephen Road) to the Railway Station

It is worth starting our walk in the Moson part of the town at Határsor. The Baroque stone crucifix and Madonna statue erected by György Winkler, a local citizen can be seen here. The birth home of violinist and music teacher Károly Flesch (1873-1944) stands on King St. Stephen Road. A bronze relief with a half-torso on the wall commemorates the far-famed son of Moson Village. The former parish hall is located not far from there. Its façade is moulded, the gate has a surbased spherical vault, and there is a passage with original stone corbels in its yard. The marble tablet above the wheel-arched gate of the buildings says "1828". The affiliated department of Mihály Mosonyi Music School can be found in the building at present.

The parish church named after St. John of Nepomuk is located in this road, too. A stone crucifix stands in front of it with a German script. The full-figure sculpture of King St. Stephen, the Founding Father of Hungary can be seen in the small square in front of the church. The building of the former White Horse Inn stands not far from here. Today it is the Community Centre, the cultural centre of the Moson part of the town.

Between the country road and the Danube, Rudolf Park awaits tourists with its walking trails. In the nearby János Hild Square we can find the beautifully restored building of the Railway Station from the period of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.

Industrial area

During World War I the largest gunpowder and munitions factory of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy was established in the industrial area of Moson. The skilful Italian prisoners of war working there built the Italian chapel, which is in perfect condition even today. The same prisoners of war also built living quarters for the local officials. The munitions factory in Moson was vacated at the end of the war but it was not demolished: it went down to posterity as a giant war monument.

The 1930s saw the construction of many industrial buildings; most of their legal successors are still in operation today. The industrial area has a gloomy touristic sight: the symbolic cemetery of the victims of the merciless volley fire on 26th October 1956. In Mourning Square a row of wooden headboards line the path leading to the war monument, which consists of three figures.

Another place of interest is the only working fire brigade museum in Hungary, which can also be found in the industrial area. It is in the building of the fire station in Moson, in Alkotmány utca (Alkotmány Street).

Manors

The Manors are situated off Pozsonyi út (Pozsonyi Road), north of the town centre. The old area containing gardens and farmyards are joined with newer suburban areas. Crossing the Leitha Bridge we arrive at 48-as tér ('48 Square), which is dominated by the huge building of the Salt Depot. The Salt Depot used to be a Capuchin monastery, the construction of which was started outside the city walls in the 17th century. The building was reconstructed in Early Classicist style at the beginning of the 19th century. Later it was used as a salt depot, hence the name that is commonly used today. The Lourdes Chapel stands in the corner of '48 Square, right next to Hildegárdeum, a kindergarten founded in the late 19th century.

Contact

Please fill in the form.

Our colleague will be contacting you within 1 working day.

The data given in course of filling in the contact form will be handled until the end of the process or it will be deleted upon your request. The data is forwarded to us by the hosting provider. Please find further details regarding our data handling in our data management guide!